Eating healthy is hard. Did I mention that already? I know what I need to eat, however it is so much easier to just grab some potato chips or cookies out of the pantry.
I am a firm believer in prepping. Sunday is my normal day when I prep my lunches for the week, make a batch of muffins for my breakfast and get my outfit ready for Monday. Yes, I am one of those people that need to get everything ready the night before.It drives my husband crazy.
Anyway… salads are a great thing to make for lunches. I make a huge bowl of salad and it will last me all week long. I add some fruit on the side and my water and I am good to go. However, salads are boring. You all know that is the truth don’t try to deny it.
This week I decided to go with an Asian salad and it was delicious. A little lettuce, some cabbage, scallions and carrots. Topped with cilantro almonds and a tangy dressing.I added some chicken to mine because I always lack protein and I need to learn to eat more. I wish I could give you a recipe for an Asian vinaigrette. I can’t. I bought my at the store because like I said before, and I say again, I AM LAZY.
This recipe is super easy and is a perfect prep meal for your week.
Asian Salad with Chicken
- 2 heads of romain lettuce
- 1 cup of nappa cabbage
- 1 cup of red cabbage
- 3 large carrots – chopped into matchsticks
- 1 english cucumber- chopped into matchsticks
- 3 scallions – chopped
- 1/2 cup of cilantro (you can omit this if you think cilantro tastes like soap, I love the stuff)
- 1/2 cup of sliced almonds
- Dressing of your choice
- Grilled chicken marinated in dressing
- Marinate 3-4 chicken breasts in dressing (I do mine overnight)
- Grill chicken until cooked all the way through. Please do not over cook your chicken!
- Slice and set aside.
- Mix all salad ingredients into a bowl. Do not add the chicken or dressing if you are prepping for the week. It will create a soggy mess. (I put my salad in a huge bowl, my dressing in a small container and my chicken in a container.)
What is your favorite lunch to take to work with you?